- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Coat 1-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain and mash sweet potatoes.
- Add white sugar, egg, 1 tablespoon melted butter, milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, chopped nuts, flour, 1 tablespoon water, and the remaining tablespoon of melted butter.
- Sprinkle over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 °F for 35 minutes or until casserole is heated and brown sugar topping is melted.
- Sweet Potatoes Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe