This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mclean Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 medium brown egg yolks
- 4 cups peeled coarsely grated sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shot bourbon whiskey
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks lightly and add the grated sweet potato, whiskey, flour, nutmeg, salt, white pepper, brown sugar, and chopped parsley.
- Fold together until all of the ingredients are well blended.
- Heat butter in a skillet then drop mixture by spoonfuls, keeping to a size of about 4 inches across, and cook gently until browned around the edges.
- Flip each cake over and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the paper bag or newspaper to drain. Serve warm and plain, then pair this homemade, fried hash brown with other side dishes or main dishes, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.