- 2˝ cups Sugar
- 2ž cups Chinese dark soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, cracked
- ˝ tsp. star anise pods
- 2 salam (Indian Bay) leaves
- 2 pieces laos (galanggal)
- ˝ cup water
- Carmelize the Sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. When the Sugar has melted, add the soy sauce and all the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, and stir until the Sugar has dissolved completely. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- All this somewhat-thickened syrup to cool. Before pouring it into one or more bottles, you have the choice of straining the sauce or not. Sweet soy sauce could last for several months if refrigerated.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.