- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Brush two sheets of pastry liberally with butter and place one on top of the other.
- Sprinkle a quarter of the walnuts over the top of the two sheets of phyllo.
- Repeat with the remaining sheets of phyllo and walnuts then roll lengthways to form a cylinder.
- Transfer to the greased baking tray and baked for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan;.
- Bring to the boil, stirring then continue to cook for about 10 minutes;.
- Or until the mixture is thick and syrupy.
- When the banitza is cooked, remove from the oven and pour the hot syrup over the top.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Serve cut into slices with warm or at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.