Sweet and Sour Sauce from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
An unexpected favorite, this tangy sauce is often used on meat or chicken.
- Makes 2 cups.
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ red or green pepper, cubed
- ½ cup honey or brown sugar (packed)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks (optional)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Mix all ingredients except cornstarch in saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer, stirring occasionally and cook for at least 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Dissolve cornstarch in small amount of water. Add, stirring until thickened. (You can omit cornstarch and allow the sauce to thicken by cooking it longer.)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.