- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup (no salt added)
- 1/2 lemon, peeled and juiced
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsps. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeeze orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger or 2 tsps. fresh grated ginger root
- 3 oranges, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 20 small to medium cook shrimp, with tails and shells removed (about 7 ozs.)
- 3 cups cooked rice (no salt added)
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- In large non-stick skillet, spray with no-stick cooking spray, cook onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until tender but not browned. Add ketchup, lemon peels, and lemon juice.
- Blend cornstarch and sugar with orange juice and ginger; add to sauce. Cook, stirring until thickened. Add orange pieces and shrimp; heat.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
- Fruit of the Month: Orange by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.