Serbian bean soup
- ½ lb dry white beans
- 3 lb beef bones
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnips, peeled
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 Little Dumplings
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped or mashed
- 1 tbl hot paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Soak beans in 1 quart cold water the night before you plan to make soup.
- Next day, drain beans and put aside.
- Put 2 quarts water in a large soup pot and in it cook bones and vegetables with salt over low heat for 2 hours.
- Strain and save liquid.
- Put drained beans into the reserved liquid; add enough water to bring the amount back to 2 quarts.
- Cook covered over low heat till beans are done.
- Make little dumplings and put aside.
- Melt the lard in a frying pan.
- Wilt onion in it, then mix in the flour and cook over very low heat till the mixture is light brown.
- Remove from heat and mix in mashed garlic and paprika.
- Whip in ½ cup cold water.
- Add to the almost ready bean soup and cook the soup over very low heat for at least 10 minutes longer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.