"Pesto" from Yemen
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley (preferably Italian)
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 serrano peppers or 4 Thai red chile peppers, stemmed
- ½ cup olive oil, plus extra if needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- ½ lemon, juice of
- Cut and discard the visible, leafless stems from the cilantro and parsley.
- Wash and pat dry.
- Place the cilantro and parsley in a blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend at low speed, stopping often to smash down the ingredients as they combine.
- Turn up speed and blend thoroughly.
- Place in a storage container, taste and adjust salt, and top with a little oil as you would pesto.
- This lasts for a month if stored in an airtight container.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.