Lentils with a Spicy Tempering
- 1 cup red lentils (lal masoor)
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 – 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- a pinch of asafoetida powder (hing)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Boil lentils with onions, tomato, green chillies, garlic and turmeric powder till lentils soften and pulp. Add salt and stir well.
- In a small frying pan, make tempering by heating ghee and frying cumin seeds, fennel seeds, red chili powder and asafoetida powder till it all starts to sizzle.
- Add tempering into dal and stir well.
- Serve warm over rice.
Recipe by Hooked on Heat Edit
The blog created by Meenakshi Agarwal is filled with, as the blogger says, lots of spice and everything nice. The pleasant design of the blog is matched by a huge variety of unique content – something you can rarely say about websites or blogs today – facts which make Hooked on Heat a valuable resource for anyone interested in Indian food.
Here you will find information on hundreds of Indian dishes, starting from Dips, Sauces and Chutneys, going through Soups and Salads and passing through Delectable Desserts and other food categories that will make your mouth water. You can reach this wealth of information at the following URL: hookedonheat.blogspot.com