Tamale pie is really good. Served as a casserole. Has ground beef, onion, corn, olives and salsa in it and taco seasoning. Has a cornmeal cheese crust and cheese melted on top too. We all like it.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 servings of tamale pie.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 16 oz jar Ortega salsa (any flavor)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1¼ oz pkg Ortega taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2¼ oz can sliced olives, drained
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 oz can Ortega diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- Ortega pickled jalapeno slices
- Cook beef and onion in a skillet until beef is browned, drain.
- Stir in salsa, water and seasoning mix and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cook 4 minutes add corn and olives.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Combine cornmeal, milk, chiles, ½ cup cheese and salt in saucepan.
- Cook 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon filling into ungreased baking dish.
- Spread cornmeal mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish servings with jalapenos and red bell pepper strips.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.