It's very garlicky!! This recipe is for 6 servings. and it will make your breath stank like tha Bank
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 small carrots, julienned, grated or sliced fine
- 1¼-1½ lbs napa cabbage, cored and sliced into 1 inch strips (half a medium head)
- ¼ cup kosher salt or sea salt
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1-3 teaspoon hot chili sauce or chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or corn oil
- In large bowl, combine the red onion, carrots, cabbage, and salt.
- Add just enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Let them sit at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, drain the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and toss well.
- Chill the salad for at least 1 hour before serving.
- It will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This kimchi doesn't undergo a fermenting process, as real kimchi does. If you'd like to ferment this kimchi, omit the oil, and put the mixture into a large sterilized jar. Let the kimchi stand at room temperature for 2-4 days, opening the jar once a day to let out the gases that build up. Store the kimchi in the refrigerator after this period. It will keep for several weeks.