- 1 small package enoki mushrooms
- 5 to 6 large dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large can straw mushrooms
- 3 to 4 black fungus mushrooms or any variety of mushroom you're comfy with — I used a dried version of these and they became huge!
- 8 cups water
- ¼ cup dry sherry or rice wine
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 to 3 egg whites
- 3 sliced scallions
- ¼ to ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Boil 2 cups of the water and pour it over the shiitake and fungus and any ever other dried mushrooms you may have chosen.
- Let this sit in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- When the mushrooms have finished soaking, squeeze the juice out of them and cut them into bit sized pieces; do not use the stems.
- Pour the soaking juice into a large soup pan with 5½ cups of water.
- Bring the water and all the mushrooms except the enoki mushrooms to a boil.
- Add rice wine or sherry, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Reduce the heat and allow mixture to simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- (if you"re trying to get other dishes to come out at the same time, this is a good place to just let the mixture simmer till youire ready for it!).
- Mix the cornstarch and the remaining ½ cup of cool water in a cup.
- Whisk the mixture into the hot soup.
- This is the possible lump stage, but with all the mushrooms and egg whites, who will know?).
- Drizzle the egg whites into the soup, whisking or stirring constantly.
- Add the white pepper.
- Wait 2-3 minutes and then dish up the soup, garnishing each bowl with scallions and enoki mushrooms.
- (these last add a lot of flavor!).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.