Tanzanian Curried Chicken-banana Soup
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (3 lb) Chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon dried red chile peppers
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut, grated (DON'T USE SWEETENED!)
- 2 ripe bananas
- Brown the Chicken pieces in the oil.
- Remove Chicken, reserving, and add the Onion and garlic to the pot.
- Sauté until soft, then stir in the powdered chile, the curry, and the black pepper and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, Chicken pieces, and coconut, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the Chicken is done, remove, let cool, then strip away the meat and cut it into bite-sized chunks, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add it back into the pot with the banana chunks.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, ladle into bowls.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.