Eritrean spiced butter
- 2 lbs unsalted butter, cut into small pieces maslo na maly kousky
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped cibule nasekana
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic 3 PL sekany cesnek
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger 4 PL strouhany zazvor
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric 2 kl kurkuma
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom 1/2 KL kardamom mlety
- 1 cinnamon stick (approximately 1" long) kousek skořice
- 1 whole clove 1 hřebíček
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 KL muškát oříšek
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter slowly over medium heat; do not let it brown.
- Then bring butter to a boil.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Milk solids on the bottom of the pan should be golden brown, and the butter on top will be transparent.
- Slowly pour the clear liquid into a bowl, straining through cheesecloth.
- It is important that no solids are left in the tesmi.
- Transfer the tesmi into a jar.
- Cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.