- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp chile powder
- 1 lbs 2 oz round beef about ½ thick (weighed after fat and bone are removed) cut into 6 x 3oz steaks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup green peppers, fresh
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free beef broth
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Blend flour, salt and chili powder well and place in pie pan.
- Dredge meat in the flour mixture.
- You should use about half of the mixture (you can discard the rest; however, it is necessary to have this amount to make dredging practical).
- Place oil in a heavy frying pan and heat to frying temperature over moderate heat.
- Add meat and brown on both sides.
- Transfer steaks to a 1½ quart casserole.
- Fry peppers and onions over moderate heat in the pan in which the meat was browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and spread over meat.
- Pour out any remaining fat.
- Add beef broth to frying pan and cook and stir over moderate heat to absorb and brown particles remaining in the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to broth.
- Mix well and pour over meat.
- Stir the meat and vegetables lightly with a fork to distribute the broth and vegetables.
- Cover tightly and bake at 325°F for about 1 – 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve 1 piece of steak with some of the sauce per serving.
Nutritional information Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.