This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- 3 Pound Trimmed Beef Brisket
- 1/4 Pound Bacon Diced
- 1 Pound White onions Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried thyme Leaves
- 1/8 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 4 Large cloves garlic Minced
- 1 Can beef broth
- 28 Ounce Can plum tomatoes in Puree
- 2 Canned chipotle peppers
- 1 Cup water
- Cut beef into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a dutch oven over medium heat cook bacon until crisp then remove and reserve.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon drippings and reserve.
- Over high heat sauté beef in batches adding drippings as needed then remove to bowl.
- Over medium heat sauté onions in any remaining drippings until well browned.
- Meanwhile heat skillet over medium heat then add cumin and cook 1 minute
- Then stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, pepper, salt,thyme, and cinnamon.
- Stir seasoning and garlic into onions and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in bacon, broth, tomatoes, chilies and beef breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Heat chili to boiling then reduce heat
- Cover partially and simmer gently for 3 hours.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.