Similar to the barbecue chicken packed with real barbecue sauce, this oriental, bold poultry dish is made with real herbs and spices, enhanced with fish sauce, and grilled to red-hot perfection, as it is great with over rice or other main dishes and keeps a tangy aroma with the poultry and condiments.
- 12 boneless or boned chicken thighs, breasts, legs, or wings
- ⅓ cup chopped Thai basil
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger or (3 tablespoons galangal)
- 1 tablespoon minced chili or (4 tablespoons chili oil or powder)
- 1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce, dark only
- 1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar, brown only
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add chicken and leave to marinate at least one hour, preferably longer.
- Grill chicken in the barbecue grill until golden-brown and cooked through. Baste the chicken shortly, if desired.
- Serve hot and plain over rice, or with other main dishes or side dishes.