Prep Time:30 Minutes
Cook time:30 Minutes
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5oz) whole tomatoes
- 2 cans (6oz) tomato paste
- 4 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 pkg (10 oz) lasagna noodles
- ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp olive oil for pasta water
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain half the fat; less if you're feeling naughty. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of parsley, basil and salt. After adding the tomatoes, the sauce mixture should simmer for 45 minutes while you're working the other steps.
- In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 tablespoons of parsley and 1 more teaspoon of salt. Stir together well. Set aside. Cook lasagna until "al dente" (not overly cooked).
- To assemble: arrange 4 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little less than half the meat/sauce mixture over the top. Repeat, ending with meat/sauce mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.
- Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.