- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ===Pepper Gravy:===
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1.Heat oven to 350°F.
2.Heat 2 teaspoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, cook and stir 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
3.Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, 3/4 teaspoon thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
4.Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan.
5.Bake in 350°F oven 1-1/4 hours to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
6.Meanwhile heat 1 teaspoon butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in gravy and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; heat through. Cut meatloaf into 1-inch thick slices; serve with gravy.
- Due to the natural nitrate content of certain ingredients often used in meatloaf, such as onions, celery and bell peppers, meatloaf may remain pink even when a 160°F internal temperature has been reached. Always check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer to be certain it reaches 160°F.
- A combination of mushrooms such as shiitake, cremini (brown) and button may be used.
- To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; process, pulsing on and off, to form fine crumbs. One and one-half slices make about 1 cup crumbs
- Fruit & Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe