Sweet and sour fish.
- 3 Chinese mushrooms, salted
- 1 large, whole, fresh coral trout
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons extra oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 100 g lean pork, finely diced
- ½ carrot, cut into match sticks
- 80 ml soy sauce
- 80 ml Chinese vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 500 ml water
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced into 1 cm lengths
- Soak the mushrooms in water to soften, then remove and slice.
- Dry the with absorbent paper, patting until it is quite dry.
- Make two deep slashes in the flesh on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until it is very hot.
- Deep fry the until golden and crisp on the outside (but not cooked through at this stage), for approximately 3 minutes, then remove.
- Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Heat additional oil until very hot in separate frying pan or wok and stir fry the onion, carrot, pork and mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Then add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water.
- Boil the water, then add the and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan so that the sauce doesn't evaporate.
- Remove when cooked – the flesh should be firm but cooked.
- Mix cornflour with a little water and stir through sauce.
- Add the sesame oil to give a 'shine' or glaze to the sauce.
- Stir through.
- Spoon sauce over the and garnish with the spring onions.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.