Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Yield: Makes 4 tostadas (4 servings)
- ½ pound lean ground turkey
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- ¼ cup homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 x 6-inch diameter flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or reduced-fat Monterey jack / colby blend cheese
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 1 chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Sauté the turkey, onion, and garlic in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Drain and return to the skillet.
- Add the salsa, broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- Simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the turkey mixture simmers, broil the tortillas about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source until crisp and golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Stir the cilantro into the turkey mixture.
- Top each tortilla with ¼ cup turkey mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 tablespoons lettuce, and 1 tablespoon chopped tomato.
- Sprinkle with jalapeno pepper, if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 tostada):
- Calories: 177 | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 231mg | Carbohydrate: 17g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 3g | Protein: 17g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch | 2 very lean meat | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.