Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage links
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- dash ground black pepper
- ½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Spread rice in shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 400 °F 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Stir often to brown evenly.
- Combine broth, salt and toasted rice in 2- to 3-quart saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Place sausage in skillet and cook until done.
- Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.
- Cut into ½-inch pieces.
- Pour off fat; return 2 tablespoons to skillet.
- Add onion, mushrooms and parsley to skillet.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Toss lightly with cooked rice, sausage, walnuts, nutmeg and pepper.
- If this dressing seems a little dry, add ¼ cup additional chicken broth.
- This dressing requires no extra cooking to be ready to serve with your favorite roast.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.