- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced in 1/2- to 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar of your choice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 to 16 ounces fresh or frozen trimmed snow Peas
Meanwhile, heat an iron skillet or wok over high heat for 1 minute. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove to a small dish. Add vegetable oil to the pan and heat several seconds, still over high heat. Add Onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the Onion is beginning to get a little charred, about 7 minutes. Add tofu and stir occasionally for 2 minutes to heat it through.
Add soy sauce mixture to the tofu-Onion mixture. Add Peas and stir over high heat until Peas are barely tender and sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice sprinkled with sesame seeds. Pass extra hot sauce and soy sauce.
Makes 4 large servings.