Tom Kha Gai is a bit sophisticated and yet extremely flavorful Thai dish that is loved by many across the globe! It is a soup prepared using your choice of meat (commonly served with chicken), coconut cream and an assortment of spices and other ingredients. due to its popularity, you can find this being served at popular Asian restaurants around the world even at the restaurants at remote resort properties the likes of Baros Maldives. Though the preparation method may seem complex, with a wee bit of culinary know-how one could easily master the craft of making this palatable dish. Find below the recipe for this amazing dish and give it a try!
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1-inch galangal root, thinly sliced
- 4 red Thai chilli, diced
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes (optional)
- 1 can straw mushrooms
- 1 stalk finely chopped lemongrass (optional)
- 10 kaffir lime leaf, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
2. Add in the thinly sliced chicken and stir occasionally until the meat is tenderly cooked.
4. cut tomatoes into largish cubes about one-inch squares, and add to soup
5. Add more Thai chillies if you need the soup to be spicier.
6. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
7. Once the ingredients are cooked thoroughly, turn off the heat, add in the lime juice, sauce, brown sugar, and stir well.
8. Serve hot as a soup or you can also savour the dish by pouring it over cooked rice with a dash of chilli sauce.