We love it for lunch on a weekend, and are more likely to eat it in Spring or Autumn than the dead of winter.
- 50 minutes preparation.
- 6 – 8 servings
- 500 g smoked streaky bacon, rind, removed, and, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (880 g) can cooked peeled tomatoes
- 1 liter chicken stock (cubes or powdered are ok)
- 3 sprigs fresh herbs (a mix of lemon thyme and marjoram and parsley are my choices)
- 1 (880 g) can 3 bean mix, rinsed and drained
- Tabasco sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- chopped parsley
- shaved Parmesan cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Cook the Onion and Bacon until the Onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up in the pan.
- Add the chicken stock and herbs and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the herb sprigs, add the beans and cook for about 5 more minutes to heat through.
- Add the Tabasco and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped parsley.
- Serve with shaved parmesan and crusty bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.