- 1 cup yellow lentil (tuar dal)
- ½ cup tamarind water
- 1 cup tomato purée
- ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp curry leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Put the lentils in a pressure pan with turmeric and 3½ cups of water.
- You can pressure cook it or bring it boil and let it cook over medium heat until tender (about half an hour).
- Keep aside heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add red chilli powder, pepper powder, salt, tomato purée, ginger-garlic paste and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add tamarind water and 2 tbsp Kadi patta. Stir well.
- Bring it boil, reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend the lentils in electric blender.
- Add it to the above puree.
- Also add 2-3 cups water and bring it to boil.
- Serve hot. Garnish with curry leaves (kadi patta).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.