Salad of Zambia and East Africa.
- Yield: 8 salads.
- 8 tomatoes, washed and stems removed
- 2 cups cooked chicken in ½-inch dice
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger chopped finely
- Combine all but a few tablespoons of the ginger mayonnaise with chicken and pineapple. Chill.
- Cut 1 to 2 heads lettuce and shape into eight uniform cups on dinner plates.
- Remove stems from 8 tomatoes.
- Make six even cuts from the blossom end three-quarters of the way through each tomato. Do not cut through.
- Open out to form a rose.
- Place tomato rose in center of each lettuce bed.
- Fill tomatoes with mixture (use a scoop if available) place 1 tsp ginger mayonnaise on top of mixture.
- Garnish with: 1 black olive and 1 or 2 sprigs watercress or parsley.
- Arrange 6 to 8 plantain chips at side of plate.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.