A delight to serve with grilled and roasted meats. Be patient and resist the temptation to open the jar before they are ready! Once opened they will keep for 4 – 6 weeks in a cool place, if they last that long!
- 1¼ lbs small turnips
- 9 ounces raw beetroots, preferably not much larger than the turnips
- 4 ounces fresh dates, stoned and halved (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, cloves skinned and very finely chopped
- 4½ tablespoons salt
- 3¾ cups water
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- Peel the turnips and cut in half.
- Peel the beetroot and slice thinly.
- Pack the turnips into sterilised jars alternating with layers of the beetroot, garlic and dates.
- Bring the water and the salt to boil and then add the vinegar.
- Pour over the vegetables making sure they are completely covered by the liquid. If there is not quite enough liquid add a little more vinegar and brine.
- Seal the jars and leave in the kitchen.
- Ready to eat in 10 – 12 days.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.