Try serving the filling hot with potatoes or toast, or with a breadcrumb topping, or serve in a home made tortilla.
- 1 lbs lean ground pork (or try beef)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crumbled sage
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1½ cups cooked red kidney beans mash
- double-crust pastry
- Stir-cook ground meat and onion until meat is no longer pink (regular ground meat is much less expensive than lean).
- Drain fat and return meat to the pan, add spices and stock.
- This will take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in mashed beans and simmer until liquid is just evaporated, about another 15 minutes.
- Cool filling about 30 minutes if making pie crust.
- Serve hot immediately, refrigerate cooled mixture up to 3 days, or freeze cooled portions up to 3 months.
Nutritional information Edit
For ⅛ recipe:
- 292 calories | 12 g total fat | 3 g saturated fat | 18 mg cholesterol | 16 g protein | 28 g carbohydrate | 454 mg sodium | 517 mg potassium | high fibre
- Diabetic exchanges: 1½ starch, 2 protein, 1 fat choice . The recommended gluten-free pastry adds 184 calories, 1 starch choice, 1½ fat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.