Trahanas Xinos (Sour Frumenty) is a traditional Greek recipe for a classic soup of cracked wheat cooked in water flavoured with olive oil and passata that's served topped with butter and cheese.
- Source: Celtnet
- 100 g frumenty (cracked wheat or bulgur wheat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 l water
- 250 ml passata (tomato juice)
- 4 tsp (heaped) butter
- 8 tbsp grated cheese (or crumbled feta cheese)
- Combine the olive oil and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil then stir-in the wheat and tomato juice.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the wheat has softened and broken up into the liquid.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls then place 1 tsp butter in the centre of each bowl and sprinkle 2 tbsp of the cheese on top.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.