- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup water or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mixed peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 coconut, grated
- 1 tsp Angostura bitters
- ½ cup maraschino cherries
- ½ cup currants
- Mix grated coconut with sugar and a little water.
- Add egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add essence, bitters and margarine.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to coconut/egg mixture.
- Add remaining water to make a soft dough, do not knead.
- Add fruits and mixed peel.
- Pour in prepared baking pan and bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, remove from oven.
- Mix a little sugar and water so make a syrup and baste on bread.
- Return bread to hot oven for 3-4 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.