- 3 lbs grilled chicken cut into 8 pieces
- juice of one lime
- 5 cups thinly sliced red onions
- ½ cup spiced butter
- ½ cup berbere sauce
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic -- crushed
- 2 tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- 4 hard boiled eggs -- peeled
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the lime juice for hour.
- In a heavy saucepan sauté the onions in 2 tbsp of the spiced butter.
- Cover the pot and cook the onions over low heat until they are very tender but not browned.
- Add the remaining butter to the pot along with the berbere sauce, wine, garlic, cayenne and ginger.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and add the chicken pieces.
- Cook, covered, for 30 – 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender, adding more water as necessary to keep the sauce from drying out.
- When the chicken is tender, add salt to taste.
- Add the eggs and heat through.
- Top with the black pepper prior to serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.