Tunisian Farka, Serves 8
- 2 2/3 cups couscous (about 1 pound)
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped toasted mixed nuts (such as walnuts, blanched almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios and pine nuts)
- 1 8-ounce box pitted dates, cut into pieces
- 2 cups milk, hot
- Additional Sugar
- Place couscous in large bowl.
- Bring 2 2/3 cups water, 1/2 cup Sugar and oil to boil in heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve Sugar.
- Pour mixture over couscous and stir until well blended.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork to separate grains.
- Mix nuts and dates into couscous.
- Transfer couscous to 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Cool.
- Cover with foil. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Bake couscous until heated through, about 20 minutes. Spoon into bowls.
- Serve, passing hot milk and additional Sugar separately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.