Potato Appetizer for 12 servings
- 2 russet potatoes - (1 lb total) peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 Onion - (6 oz) peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon drained capers rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 egg separated
- 12 egg roll wrappers - (6" square)
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring potatoes and 2 quarts water to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes mash easily, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl; mash with a Potato masher until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir Onion and garlic in oil until Onion is very limp, about 10 minutes (if Onion begins to brown, reduce heat to medium-low). Stir into potatoes, along with parsley, cilantro, capers, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk to blend; add to Potato mixture and mix well.
- In another small bowl, beat egg white to blend. Cut each egg roll wrapper into four squares (keep covered with plastic wrap until ready to use). Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons Potato mixture in the center of each square. Brush edges lightly with egg white. Fold each square diagonally over filling to form a triangle; pinch edges to seal.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat (or use a deep-fryer and follow manufacturer's recommendation for depth of oil). When oil reaches 375 degrees, using a slotted spoon or a mesh basket and working in batches of 6 to 12 (pastries should fit easily in one layer), lower pastries into oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to paper towelulined 10- by 15-inch baking sheets in a 200 degrees oven and keep warm up to 30 minutes. Allow oil to return to 375 degrees between batches.
- This recipe yields 4 dozen turnovers; 12 to 16 appetizer servings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.