In Romanian: Calcan in vin rosu
- 2 lbs / 1 kg turbot
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 parsley root
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves
- 2 – 3 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb / 500 g potatoes
- Clean, wash the fish, cut into pieces, salt and let sit for a half hour.
- Place the thinly sliced carrot, parsley root and onion on the bottom of a pan.
- Arrange the fish pieces, cloves, juniper berries and bay leaf on the vegetables.
- Pour the wine and 3-4 tablespoons of water in and set to boil at high temperature.
- When it actually starts boiling, reduce the heat, cover the pan and let simmer.
- When the fish is done, carefully drain all liquid into another pan, add the butter beaten with the flour to this liquid, mix and let it simmer until the sauce starts to thicken a little.
- Arrange the fish on a serving platter, the quartered potatoes (boiled separately) around it and pour the strained sauce on top of the potatoes.
- You may also prepare perch and pike this way.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.