- 2 medium golden delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz cooked turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 6 whole-wheat pita bread rounds (6-1/2” diameter)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
1.Toss apple with lemon juice, set aside.
2.In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion and peppers in hot oil, stirring frequently until tender. Add turkey to skillet and stir until heated through then add apple slices.
3.Combine garlic and yogurt then set aside.
4.Lightly toast the pita and then cut in half. Fill each half with the turkey mixture.
5.Equally divide yogurt over turkey mixture then serve.
- Turkey-Apple Gyros from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource