Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking
- Number of Servings: 7
- 2 tsp margarine
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (save yourself some prep time and buy pre-sliced mushrooms.)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 x 14.5oz cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups roasted turkey breast, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild and long-grain rice
- ½ cup evaporated fat-free milk
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat margarine in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add flour, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and stir (make sure to scrape the brown bits on the bottom of pan).
- Add thyme, bay leaf, turkey, and rice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk; bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 cup serving:
- 175 Calories | 15 Calories From Fat | 2g Total Fat | 0g Saturated Fat | 33mg Cholesterol | 678mg Sodium | 21g Total Carbs | 2g Dietary Fiber | 5g Sugars | 18g Protein
- Exchanges: 1 Starch | 2 Very Lean Meat | 1 Vegetable
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.