Purchased from Betik Estate in Waxahachie, Texas in 1998. Dated 1922. Indicates this was a $25,000 winner in the Pillsbury Cookoff in 1953.
- 1-1/2 cups sifted flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (reserve white)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon maple extract
- 30 pecan halves
- Sift together the flour, soda and salt.
- cream the butter and brown sugar together until well blended.
- Add egg and egg yolk, beat well.
- Blend in vanilla and maple extracts.
- Add dry ingredients, gradually and mix thoroughly.
- Dough will be soft, chill if desired.
- Arrange pecan halves in groups of three on baking sheets to resemble head and legs of turtle.
- Mold dough into balls, dip bottoms unto into unbeaten egg whites and press lightly onto nuts.
- Use a rounded teaspoonful of dough for each, so tips of nuts will show when cookies are baked.
- Bake in 350 oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool and frost tops generously with chocolate frosting.
- For frosting: Combine chocolate, milk and butter in top of double boiler.
- Heat over boiling water until chocolate melts. Blend until smooth.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.