I used the lower grade Idaho potatoes for this- they looked like perfect little Idahoes, but were only about 4" long (20 lbs for $1.99, how could i resist?) Russets would probably work well, too. I think Yukon Golds and other thin-skinned varieties would tend to fall apart. Seriously, using the right potatoes for any recipe can matter! fanatical grin ;).
- 12 potatoes (do not peel)
- 1 each garlic powder to taste
- 1 each Old Bay seasoning (or chili powder) to taste
- Scrub the potatoes and cut in half lengthwise.
- Put them in a big pot with water to cover and boil.
- Cook until done (fork goes in easily), but not falling apart.
- Remove the potatoes carefully with a slotted spoon and set them on a cookie sheet or baking pan, cut side up.
- Sprinkle liberally with spices.
- Broil until browned and crusty on the surface.
- You could also bake for an hour or so if you don't have a broiler.