Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 6 – 8.
- 1 pound dried black beans, soaked in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches overnight or quick-soaked (procedure follows) and drained (½ – 1 pound dried beans — picked over)
- 1 cup barley — not quick-cooking
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 pound green beans — trimmed
- ½ cup pine nuts — toasted lightly
- In a kettle combine the black beans with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches, simmer them, covered, for 1 hour, or until they are tender, and drain them well.
- While the beans are cooking, in a large saucepan combine the barley with 4 cups boiling salted water and simmer it, covered, for 45 minutes, or until it is cooked but still al dente.
- Drain the barley in a colander, rinse it, and drain it well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- In a large bowl combine the black beans, the barley, and the onion, add the dressing, and toss the salad until it is combined well.
- The salad may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook the green beans for 4 to 5 minutes, or until they are just tender, refresh them under cold water, and drain them well.
- Cut the beans crosswise into ¼-inch pieces, add them to the salad with pine nuts and salt and pepper to taste, and toss the salad until it is combined well.
- Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
Quick soaking the dried beans Edit
- In a colander rinse the beans under cold water and discard any discolored ones.
- In a kettle combine the beans with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches, bring the water to a boil, and boil the beans for 2 minutes.
- Remove the kettle from the heat and let the beans soak, covered, for 1 hour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.