- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups warm mashed potatoes
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cup cool water (approx.)
- melted butter
- Sauté the onion in the butter until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Combine with the potatoes and cheese and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let cool thoroughly before using.
- (The filling can be made a day ahead and kept covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.).
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, mashed potatoes, melted butter and just enough of the water to form a medium-soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. (Too much kneading will make the dough tough.).
- Divide the dough in half and cover with an inverted bowl.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough until it is quite thin and cut rounds about 2 to 3 inches wide with a large biscuit cutter.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a little salt.
- To each round of dough, add a spoonful of filling ad fold over to form a half circle.
- Press the edges together with well floured fingers, making sure the varenyky are well sealed.
- Transfer them to a lightly floured surface and cover them with a clean tea towel so that they do not dry out.
- Drop a few at a time into the boiling water, stirring gently with a wooden spoon to separate them and keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, at which point they should be puffed and bobbing on the surface. (The thinner the dough and the smaller the pyrohy, the quicker they will cook.).
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander, drain thoroughly and place in a warmed bowl.
- Drizzle with melted butter and toss gently to keep them from sticking together.
- Cover and keep warm while you cook the remaining varenyky.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.