- 4 cups dry samp (broken hominy)
- 2 cups (one pound) dry cowpeas (black-eyed peas) or any similar beans
- Combine samp and cowpeas in a large enamel pot or glass bowl. Add cold water sufficient to cover. Cover, and let stand overnight. Drain and rinse before cooking.
- In a large pot. Cover the soaked samp and cowpeas mixture with cold water. Bring to a boil. Let boil for ten minutes. Reduce heat. Simmer on low heat for one to two hours, until all is tender and the water is mostly absorbed. Add additional water during cooking if needed.
- Season with salt. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.