Renowned for its soft delicate and succulent texture and its distinctive flavour, Tuna regarded as one of the quintessential ingredients in Maldivian cooking. A number of dishes are made with tuna being the main ingredient. If you are some of with a little bit of culinary know-how here is a unique dish you can try making from the comfort of you home and share with your loved ones.
· 400gr tuna fillet
· 20gr Sultana
· 20gr kanamadu
· ( kottamba/Indian almond)
· 30gr Tomato
· 1 teaspoon Tomato past
· ½ teaspoon Chili powder
· ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
· ½ teaspoon Fish curry powder
· Salt & Pepper to taste
· 10gr onion slice
· 5gr Chopped Habanero pepper (Githeyo Mirus)
· Coconut oil (virgin)
· 100 ml water / 150 ml Thick coconut milk
1. Heat coconut oil in a saute pan & add all ingredients except tuna & coconut milk, lime juice & spice powders.
2. Fry until tender, add spice powder & cook.
3. Add water, cook to a thick paste, remove from heat & season with lime.
4. Cut & flatten the tuna fillet to thin slice to make a roulade.
5. Spread ¾ of cooked spice mixer over tuna fillet and roll gently to a roulade.
6. Wrap in banana leaf or coconut leaves & place back in the pan with remaining mixture.
7. Add coconut milk & cook until gravy absorbs into the tuna fillet.
8. Serve with Roshi (Maldivian chapathi), boiled manioc or boiled rice.
9. (can be accompanied with tuna and coconut sambal)