Varenga (Roast Shredded Beef) - Serves 4-6
- 2 Lb Braising Steak, cut into 2-inch strips
- salt and black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- Cold water
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan, cover with ½ - inch of cold water and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover the pan and simmer gently for about 2 hours, keeping an eye on the water level and topping up when necessary, until meat is very tender and can be shredded with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a wide shallow baking pan. Remove the meat from the saucepan and shred into thin strips using two forks. The meat should be soft enough to pull apart very easily.
- Transfer the shredded meat to the greased pan, pour over enough of the cooking juice to moisten then roast in the oven for 30 minutes until well browned on top. Serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.