Hot Slaw - Serves 6
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup vinegar
- Shred the cabbage.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Mix in the flour, salt, mustard, sugar and pepper until smooth.
- Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler over boiling water and stir in egg mixture and milk.
- Slowly add the vinegar, beating constantly, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is thick.
- Cook cabbage in salted water to cover for 6 minutes.
- Do not overcook. Cabbage should be crisp.
- Drain well.
- Mix cabbage and sauce and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.