Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 3 pounds boned veal breast, sliced flat for stuffing
- 2 teaspoons thyme, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Season veal with 1 teaspoon thyme, salt, garlic powder and white pepper.
- Cook ½ cup onion and mushrooms in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat; combine with rice, cheese, basil, black pepper, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and egg.
- Spread rice mixture evenly on veal breast. Roll veal; tie with string at 1-inch intervals.
- Combine celery, carrots, remaining ½ cup onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and wine in large roasting pan; place veal in pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for 1½ hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160 °F. Remove bay leaf.
- Pan juices may be thickened to serve with veal.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.