This recipeis best to eat after a 48 hour refrigerator. It can be prepared a week in advance of eating. The Orange Sauce can also be made at the same time as the terrine.
- 500 g veal steak
- 250 g ham
- 500 g ham fat
- 250 g chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3 bay leaves or celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon canned green peppercorns
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic cloves
- 30 g butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt, pepper
Orange Sauce Edit
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup Seville orange marmalade (or any bitter marmalade)
- 2 tablespoons port
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon French mustard
- ¼ cup water
- Place veal, ham and a quarter of the ham fat in food processor, process in batches until finely minced.
- Place chicken livers in bowl, add brandy, let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Process livers until fine, add to veal mixture.
- Slice remaining fat thinly, arrange bay or celery leaves over base of 20cm x 10cm ovenproof dish or loaf tin, place a layer of ham fat over base and sides (carefully covering leaves).
- Add peppercorns to veal mixture.
- Saute chopped onion and crushed garlic in butter, add to veal mixture with eggs, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place veal mixture on top of ham fat, press down firmly, top with remaining slices of ham fat.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil, place in baking dish with hot water halfway up the sides.
- Bake in moderately slow oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove dish from water, cool slightly, place chopping board on top of terrine, then weight with a brick or something heavy.
- When cold, refrigerate until required.
Orange Sauce Edit
- Remove rind from lemon using vegetable peeler, cut rind into thin strips 5cm in length.
- Place rind in pan of boiling water, simmer 5 minutes, strain.
- Heat marmalade in pan until melted, push through sieve; discard orange pieces and return marmalade to pan.
- Add port, mustards, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, water and rind, cook over low heat 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve warm over cold terrine.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.