Makes 6 servings.
- 12 thin veal cutlets (about 1 pound)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 x 16½-ounce can pitted dark sweet cherries (drain; reserve syrup)
- ¼ cup Madeira wine
- chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Sauté veal in butter in large skillet 2 to 3 minutes on each side over high heat.
- Remove veal; season with salt and pepper; keep warm. Pour off fat.
- Combine reserved syrup, wine and broth to equal 1¾ cups. Add to skillet; simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch with water; add to sauce. Cook, stirring, until clear and thickened.
- Stir in cherries.
- Serve sauce over veal and fluffy rice.
- Garnish with lemon slices and watercress, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.