Vegetable Barley Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 8
- 1½ cups quick-cooking barley
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ quarts low-sodium, low-fat chicken stock
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable juice
- 4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- a dollop of non-fat sour cream(optional)
- In a large saucepan, add the barley, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vegetable juice and basil. Raise heat until mixture starts to boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables become tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then serve in bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.