Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3½ cups beef stock 
- ⅓ cup barley
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 oz stewing beef, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In large non-stick saucepan, heat oil; sauté garlic, onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add stock, barley, potatoes and beef; cover, reduce heat and simmer approximately 50 minutes or until barley and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- ↑ Use the lowest sodium broth you can or make your own to cut back on the sodium content of this recipe. Take care, Gloria
Nutritional information Edit
- 208 Calories | 11g Protein | 1009 mg Sodium | 13 mg Cholesterol | 5g Fat | 31g Carbs
- Exchanges: 1½ starch | 1 vegetable | ½ medium fat meat | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.